12-13 Susan Update

Hi Friends –

Jerel here, I want to update you on the last few days and how Susan is doing.  She began treatments of her new drug a week and a half ago and had a really good first week.  Last week started out good – Dana (her sister) was in town and Susan felt like getting out and doing a few things – church, going out to lunch, a few shopping trips to Target – she enjoyed doing those things until about Wednesday.  She started feeling more tired and her breathing got a little worse.  She had treatment Thursday again and they decided to do a blood transfusion on Friday, so she came back for 2 liters of blood.  This helped her breathing some and helped her feel a little better.  Along the way, though, she began to struggle to swallow and since about Friday has had a hard time eating and drinking.

Over the weekend we called our oncologist and they recommended getting her on an antibiotic and some other drugs, thinking it may be a head cold contributing to the throat feeling this way.  Today we called the office and came in to see our doctor (actually another doctor filling in for our out-of-town guy).  She sent us over to Presby Main to get a chest CT, wanting to rule out a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lung).  The scan DID rule this out, but also showed a significant collection of fluid off from around the right lung.  She thinks this may be causing the swallowing issues, and probably some of the breathing issues as well.  It was late in the day, and she decided to admit Susan to Presbyterian Main tonight to expedite the drain of fluid (this will happen tomorrow morning).  She will get a platelet transfusion as well.  Susan had fluid drained about 6 weeks ago from the same area.

So it was another one of those days where one appointment turns into an overnight stay in the hospital.  The plan is for her to have the procedure in the morning and then come home, hopefully with some relief and able to eat and drink normally.  Please pray for that, as well as continued healing from the cancer.  This version of breast cancer (triple negative) is aggressive and nasty and doesn’t seem to want to play by the rules.

We’ll update you again in the next couple of days and let you know how she did with the procedure.  Thanks for all your continued support.


3 Responses to “12-13 Susan Update”

  1. Sheryl Says:

    Will be praying this morning for her procedure to be successful!!! Sending love!!!

  2. John Says:

    Thanks for the update, Jerel. We’re praying this morning too.

  3. Amy Cunningham Says:

    Thank you for updating. We think of you guys so much and wish we could be there to help! Praying for all of you. Love, Amy & Joe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: